Homeschool Conference!!!


Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sarah Granger Kimball Home




This was a beautiful home with a spectacular view...the Nauvoo temple was such a sight to see as you peer out the front window or walk out through the door.

As I looked at the fireplaces these women cooked their meals on, I felt a sense of guilt at having my thoughts of "oh my word, I have to cook another meal" at least I get to do it in a quick and easy manner. All I have to do is go over and switch on my gas stove or oven and voila, I have instant heat, none of this fire stuff day in and day out. And then the long flowing dresses to contend with on top of it all. Many a woman suffered horrible burns and some even death after their dresses caught fire. The worst that happens to me is I burn myself now and again, but it's just a finger or something simple. (Note to self: I need to be more grateful for the ease of my life.)

This was amazing to me...how on earth would a person have been able to come up with the pattern for such an intricate piece of work. Still beautiful after so many years! Makes me wonder how many little people slept under this blanket made with so much love and care...

Had to share this photo, even though it's a bit fuzzy. See that wonderful little door? Doesn't seem like anything too spectacular or special, but oh it was! This home had two closets in it. Having a closet in your home was not a common thing. Only the wealthiest of people had closets in their homes. As I think about it, I don't remember seeing any others, wish I'd have checked that out a little more in a couple of the larger homes. I do remember seeing closets in the Mansion House, the home that the Prophet Joseph Smith and his wife, Emma, lived in for just 10 months before his death.

Another shot of the whole crew...we were quite a sight for so many of these sweet missionaries...I think we may have scared some, but after being with us, we warmed their hearts and they loved us, almost as much as we loved them!

And here are a couple of extra shots of some of the beautiful furnishings of this sweet home.

No comments:

Post a Comment