Homeschool Conference!!!


Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Day of School!!!!

Well, I SURVIVED the first day of school...it actually went very well and the kids seemed quite happy...HOORAY!

Started something new this year that I'm really excited about. I've done similar things in the past, but thought this might help out my kids who want to know everything about everything. You know, the ones who wake up and first thing in the morning they desperately NEED to know what the plan is for the day, then the week, sometimes even the entire month.
So to calm the anxiety of those who Must know all details...
I have done my very best to outline for them what we have planned for the month on a calendar.
Along with this, I included what our Value, Theme, Focus/Goal, Memorization items, and Read Aloud and Personal Reading will be. And one other fun thing I included for them is a little sheet for them to write what their High and their Low for each day is. I want them to focus on the positive things in their lives and I want to be able to help them through the lows in life and let them know that I am here for them, always!

I have to share the funny parts of our morning. I had no intention of doing many of the things that we did...but I've learned over the past many years of homeschooling to go with the flow and things will happen as they need to. So...my little ones wanted to come up with a list of "rules" for our school. Okay ~sounded good to me. I was about rolling as they came up with one after another. The older kids had some input, but just laughed along with me for most of it. And then the "consequences" were hysterical. So here is a sample of the fun we experienced:

Rules:
1. Be happy and be positive
2. Love other people and be kind to them.
3. Raise your hand if you want something or if you want to talk.
4. No disgusting bodily functions or sounds in school room. (I think this should be for the entire house, but I'll settle for the school room!)
5. Don't bother others when they are talking.
6. Don't hurt other people.
7. Treat others how you want to be treated.
8. Listen to your Mom and Dad.
9. Don't be rude to your teacher. (Love the child who came up with this one!!!)
10. Always listen to your teacher. (Oh, yeah! this kid is a keeper!)
11. Don't cheat on your schoolwork. (I don't really know if this is possible in the homeschooling world???)
12. Always do your best.
13. No disruptive noises. (That one might last for about 5 minutes with any luck at all!!!)
14. Say Thank You whenever someone helps you.
15. Don't stand on your chair. (One of my boys, chimed in, "I should be able to stand on my chair if I feel like it, why does that matter?")
16. Clean up after yourself. (All I can do is hope and pray this one happens!)
17. Don't be mean to your brothers and sisters. (Okay, forget the clean up after yourself, I'll hope and pray for this one!!!)
18. Don't be obnoxious. (doubt this one is gonna happen around here)
19. Brush your teeth before school. (Gotta laugh at this one!!!)
20. Be grateful for what you get to do and what you have to do..
21. Be nice to another person.

Consequences if you break the rules:
Push-ups (we had numbers ranging anywhere from 15 to 500!!!)
Run laps (the first number shouted out was 10 laps...we have 2 1/2 acres, so we could have some tired kiddos around here!)
and if you're REALLY BAD!!! Sit in the corner for 19 minutes!!!
and for REALLY BAD BOYS...hang from the pull-up bar for 29 minutes!!!

Oh My...where do these things come from???
I have done the push-ups and the laps and we've had to have time-outs, but hanging from the pull-up bar??? And where does the 19 minutes come from???

But we're goin' with it!!!

Life is an adventure...So glad I'm right smack dab in the middle of it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment