Homeschool Conference!!!


Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Friday, July 16, 2010

Opposition = Sadness

The scriptures say that there must be “an opposition in all things.” So it is with faith, hope, and charity. Doubt, despair, and failure to care for our fellowmen lead us into temptation, which can cause us to forfeit choice and precious blessings.
The adversary uses despair to bind hearts and minds in suffocating darkness. Despair drains from us all that is vibrant and joyful and leaves behind the empty remnants of what life was meant to be. Despair kills ambition, advances sickness, pollutes the soul, and deadens the heart. Despair can seem like a staircase that leads only and forever downward.
Hope, on the other hand, is like the beam of sunlight rising up and above the horizon of our present circumstances. It pierces the darkness with a brilliant dawn. It encourages and inspires us to place our trust in the loving care of an eternal Heavenly Father, who has prepared a way for those who seek for eternal truth in a world of relativism, confusion, and of fear.

The above statement came from President Uchtdorf and has brought great peace to my heart this morning. Over this past week, I have tried desperately to understand how some people in life can be so mean and uncaring, so contentious and cruel, who thrive on causing drama and trauma to others -- and maybe the most important to point out -- to do these horrid acts to others who believed them to be a friend.

Yesterday, I reached a point of "despair" in my feelings of how to deal with and handle a situation that felt so ugly and uncomfortable to me. My first reaction was not a pretty one...I have to admit when I found out this person had been not only saying horrible things to my face, but then slandering who I am and what I stand for behind my back, I was a tad bit distraught! I wanted with all of my being to make her hurt the way I was, to shake some sort of sense into her, to show her that her actions are so wrong, so inappropriate and that she just cannot treat others the way she continues to...but, after a few hours of quiet space and time mixed with a bucket or two of tears -- I have come to the conclusion that it would do no good, that I need to just move on and let the contention that I have raging inside of me subside. I will not fall into this ugly trap and I will not allow myself to stoop to such a lowly place.

So, instead I have immersed myself in what things can bring me joy and peace. To end, I would like to share the last part of the message I began with by President Uchtdorf...I believe these statements give me all the strength and hope that I need to deal with situations that make my heart break, make me feel "yucky" throughout every single fiber of my body...I know that I am not the ugly things that were said of me...I know that I am here to love others, to lift them whenever I can, to love life and to do my best to share that with others. So with that being said, I will not allow oppostion in my life to equal sadness. I will have hope and I will be happy and strong.

The Lord has given us a reassuring message of hope: “Fear not, little flock.” God will wait with “open arms to receive” those who give away their sins and continue in faith, hope, and charity.
And to all who suffer—to all who feel discouraged, worried, or lonely—I say with love and deep concern for you, never give in.
Never surrender.
Never allow despair to overcome your spirit.
Embrace and rely upon the Hope of Israel, for the love of the Son of God pierces all darkness, softens all sorrow, and gladdens every heart.
Of this I testify and leave you my blessing in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

If you would like to spend a little more time learning of what President Uchtdorf said of Hope, the talk I referenced today is titled "The Infinite Power of Hope" and can be found in the November 2008 Ensign (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) It is truly a beautiful and peaceful message.

5 comments:

  1. I love you Stacey and hope you will have peace in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista, You are a doll.
    I am doing so much better just realizing within myself that I can have peace.
    With all of my reading this week, I have come to a point of compassion for her,I feel very sorry for her and hope that she can cherish true friendship for the treasure that it is.
    Thanks for always being so kind and sweet ~ enjoy the sunshine :) & have a fabulous weekend ~ looks like summer has arrived...100 degree temps and water sound like a great combination!!! Think that's what we'll do a little later today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God won't give you anything harder than you can handle. You grow. I know you've had lots of growth experiences. You have a great support system, if you'll use it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Stacey; I needed to read those words today. Through your own trial you've also helped me! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corrie,
    What would I do without you??? Love You!

    Jessica,
    I'm glad to hear that it helped you...I re-read the talk just a day or two ago as a reminder to keep me going...aren't trials fun??? Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete