Homeschool Conference!!!


Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Never More Than We Can Handle???

So, there is a scripture that has given me such a sense of peace over the past few years, don't have the reference with me as I am sitting in a Moxie Java sipping Hot Cocoa without my scriptures in hand.

Nevertheless, it speaks to the thought that we will never be given more than we can handle...

I've been thinking about this quite a bit.

I've come to the conclusion that this may not be so,
bear with me.
Don't close me out just yet.
YES, I totally believe the scriptures, I do not doubt them...
but here is where I begin to question this one just a bit.

Haven't you ever thought to yourself,
"Self, this is way more than I can take?  
I am about to implode, my heart cannot take one more hard thing."  
Boy have I thought this and said it right out loud for all the world to hear...including that Big Guy up there!

I haven't always said it in a most reverent way...
during hard times, I have found myself in the middle of a full-blown temper tantrum in my car, all by myself yelling and screaming, tears freely flowing, just letting it all out...
I wouldn't want to frighten my kiddos or my hubby,
so these little moments are shared with only my Heavenly Father.
I'm sure He would like to tell me to pick myself up, pull it together and put my big girl panties on, but instead, He is patient with me, He waits for me to figure it out and when I finally cave and go to Him -- begging for what I most need, He stands ready to give me what I need, maybe not what I want.
 
If we were never given more than we could handle...we might never have the need to go to our Father in Heaven in prayer.  We'd be able to just handle it all...no need to ask for His help, his comfort, his guidance, his love.

BUT, during the times that we really feel we just cannot take one more thing,
in our moments of desperation,
our moments of utter despair,
when we feel all is about to be lost including our minds and our hearts
(for they are surely about to break in two);
we finally reach a breaking point, a point that we are open, we are willing to let HIM in, let Him work His magic, let Him make it all okay again.

If we never reached this point of more than we can take, we would never see the beauty in His miracle of healing our hearts and our minds.

Maybe you all have a whole lot more faith than I do, I believe I have faith; I just wait, thinking I can handle it all...no need to bother anyone else with my problems, with my heartbreaking moments, I'd really like to keep it all in and not share it...I'd like to appear to be strong and capable and without need.
But the truth is, I am not strong, sometimes I am frightened and alone and desperate for help.  And it is only these times that I put it out there, that I allow Him to fix it, because it cannot be fixed in any other way.

I am learning, slowly, that He does have a plan for me.  He has a plan for my family.  He has not forgotten us.  He is always there.
I picture Him just patiently waiting in a big comfy rocking chair, 
(just as I do with my little ones)
I am so happy and willing to pick them up, hold and comfort and rock them till all their fears are gone, until they feel happy and whole and ready to stand on their own two feet once again.
I see Him being much the same...
He's happy to hold and comfort my heart, He will be there to dry my tears and help me stand back up, he'll even give me that little push to jump start me when I am too fearful to take the next step.

I look back on this very hard week our family has encountered and see His loving hand right in the midst of it all.  I have found peace that we are where we are supposed to be...Life is going to be GOOD and HAPPY and FULL and RIGHT...
Different isn't wrong, it's just different.
Change is a good thing, helps us to grow and develop and see new things within ourselves.

What I really believe is:
that WITH HIM, we will never be given more than we can handle...
We'll just be given ENOUGH to make us go to HIM, 
submit to Him, 
give our hearts and our will to Him 
without question.

1 comment:

  1. I wrote you a beautiful email :), but it's lost in cyberspace & now I can't remember what it said...

    Very thoughtful post and so true. I also believe He puts people in our path to help us; sometimes we have to reach out. You don't have to go through everything alone.

    Have a wonderful week in your new home. Enjoy all that it has to offer.

    ReplyDelete