Homeschool Conference!!!


Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Playing with money...



Who knew teaching "Math" could be so much fun???
That's right...
for the past month, we've immersed ourselves in what may well be the most applicable math a child/adult might ever need ~ Money Management!

We've played with money, made deposits, written checks, learned to balance and track our spending and saving habits, we've learned the value in setting goals and the beauty that can be had honoring those goals and reaping the rewards of our efforts and sacrifices! 


I was excited to have the opportunity to review a program that I KNEW would be of benefit to each of our children...no matter the age!  
With six kids aged 19 down to 7 still at home, 
there were some definite variations in the approach that was used while implementing
  The FamilyMint Money Management Certification Program in our family.  
The beauty of this program is that it really is possible to teach ALL ages what they are ready to learn...

Your little ones need little lessons 
on money management, 
the exposure is fantastic and they LOVE the time spent playing with money!  
While your teens and tweens REALLY need to gain a great understanding and appreciation for money management.


First things first...
To do ANYTHING in the Lytle House, you gotta have a little FUN!!!  
So, we began our journey down the road of Money Management by having Dad and the boys build us a little bank...they cleverly named it "Home School National Bank"!  Pretty darling!

While the boys did their thing,
the little girls started "making money"...
our littlest one thought it would be a fabulous idea for us to run to the Office Supply Store to pick up a new printer that would print color pictures better ~ 
she could see no good reason why 
"copying" money 
and making your very own 
wasn't the best idea in the world...
We had to have a little talk about that!   :)

Many a day, I would walk by to see "banking" happening -- 
This may have been my favorite!
Teddy Bears can ALWAYS save the day 
when no one else wishes to play...


There is much to love about this Money Management program and the FamilyMint website...

Pros:
**I saw an almost immediate paradigm shift in the thinking of my children as they learned better to see money as a limited resource and as they began to prioritize their wants and needs based on what they have.

They are becoming mighty Good Stewards of their money
BECAUSE they now VALUE IT so much more than before!
The ability to Track their money and actually see deposits and withdrawals coming and going made a BIG difference to them.  Prior to our FamilyMint Experience, the money just came and went with very little thought.

**Are there days that you feel your children are never satisfied,
days they seem to wish for EVERYTHING in the WORLD???
This is normal and guess what...it is FANTASTIC that they express these desires as children.  WHY?
Well, it certainly isn't because it's a cake walk for Mom and Dad to listen incessantly  to all the crazy "I want, I want" requests...
but it is wonderful for the simple reason that it is so much better to learn as a child that we just can't have it all, than to wait and learn this painful fact as an adult.
FAMILYMINT helps parents teach their children the ins and outs of setting Goals.
Some kids may not even be familiar with goals; a goal, simply put is something you want to achieve that requires effort on your part.
It is imperative for our children to comprehend that it is not enough to just want things; we must work to make things happen in our lives.  Without hard work and effort, "wants" are nothing more than wishes or dreams that never become reality.
Goals are the prioritization of our wants and needs.
And this program so beautifully handles the dirty work of teaching this to your kiddos!!!
With one simple acronym - SMART, your kids will have it down...
S = Specific
M = Measurable
A = Achievable
R = Relevant
T = Time-bound

**I love, love, love that I have new tools in my "Mom Tool Box" that I can pull out when one of my kiddos comes to me wishing for something.  I no longer need to make the decision or be the bad guy when I must say no.
I can simply say to them, "Great idea...why don't you create a goal for it!"  or "Do you have the money for it?  If so, then I believe you will be able to decide if that is how you'd like to spend your money."
I no longer have the decision power, I've turned that over to my kids.
I have in turn empowered them with "the tools" they need to make choices now that will only serve to benefit them later in life.


**I so greatly appreciate the awareness FamilyMint has brought to me...
with our older kids, I didn't take the time, nor did I even think to, to spend time delving into the ins and outs of Money Management.
I am going away from this experience a better, stronger, more prepared Mom
and the outcome will be even greater --
Kids who will become Well-Prepared, Self-Reliant, Money Managing, Empowered Adults!!!
And all this just by allowing them to take on the responsibility, and if necessary, facilitating a way for them to earn money so that they can learn to spend their money wisely.

If you think about it...
by facilitating a money earning experience
and then facilitating the opportunity
to take care of needs and wants your kiddos may have
such as the desire/need for new shoes or pants, maybe a new shirt or two, etc...
you've opened up a whole new world of learning for your kids.
(if you have girls...you get the whole NEED for new shoes!!!)

You will likely find that your children will tend to be much more thoughtful about what purchases need to be made when it is their money.
Kids are happy to spend money all day long ~
BECAUSE they don't realize it is a LIMITED RESOURCE
UNTIL they OWN IT!!!

**  Are you ready for a BONUS???
 FAMILYMINT is by far the VERY BEST tool I have seen for assisting in the process of earning the Personal Management Merit Badge for Scouts!  With three boys all in the Scouting Program, this is huge bonus for me as a mom.  Can you see me smiling???

**  Now on to the "Tech side" of things--
 I love the LOW-Tech side - the workbook and the worksheets that are available for hands on learning.  My kids and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the many Fun Money Facts that are listed throughout...
Along with the workbook is the High tech side
The FamilyMint Premium Online Access
AND there is even a mobile app! - optimized version for when you are out and about...instant access at your fingertips at all times!!!
They work in tandem...how beautiful is that?!


Our kids think it's pretty fantastic that they have "Accounts" online just like we do for our family and business accounts!
I've not used the mobile app, but will be when it's time to go out for those
Spring Shoes that will be NEEDED in a most desperate sort of way any day now!


Special Introductory Bundle Offer

from 29.99

Includes our 60-page Money Management Certification Program workbook plus a LIFETIME subscription to FamilyMint Premium.

Add additional workbooks to your order at 50% off the retail price.


Be sure to Check out a couple of great resources on their website!!!

Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Debt
21 Simple Ways for Kids to Earn Money


NOW for the Cons of FamilyMint...
Well....
Just give me a minute or so...
Okay,
I've come up with one.  Yes, ONLY ONE!!!
I LOVE COLOR and there wasn't much color happening.
Color adds an aspect of FUN for me...but since that was missing we just added it on our own.
I just threw in the white board and splashed color on it; that, along with our bank did the trick!
Certainly NOT a deal breaker for me!!!

My final "Report Card" for FamilyMint ~ A!
Give me a little color and I'd scoot it up to an A+.



FYI:  For anyone in the Midwest...FamilyMint will be an exhibitor in Cincinnati, April 4-6th...click here for details.

10 comments:

  1. Jesus was clear: Luke 14:28 'For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?'

    We've been directed clearly to always plan the cost of things and never be in debt as in Proverbs 22:7 says '...and the borrower is servant to the lender'.

    What a GREAT topic to teach your children. Money management is so important. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Macy...thank you!
      I have loved digging into this topic ~ I know my kids will remember this for quite some time to come and I am "banking" on the fact that it will forever influence the way they deal with their finances and goal setting. Love the scripture references, I'll be sharing those with my kiddos!
      Hugs,
      Stacey

      Delete
  2. Great review....loved the bank!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alecia!
      The bank added a whole element of FUN for us!!!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful review! You're such a fun mom! I love the bank (especially the banking teddy!) and agree with you about the workbook not being in color. It would be stunning in color, wouldn't it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you, thank you, and thank you!!!
      Who knows...maybe the next edition will be in full color?! :)

      Delete
  4. EXCELLENT review. I absolutely love how hands-on you made this project. The bank is SO MUCH FUN! Looks like you and your kids really learned a lot. I want to come to your homeschool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, stop by anytime you make it to Idaho...we'd LOVE to have you join us!!! ;)
      Thanks for your sweet comments ~ we really did gain a lot from this review.
      Wishing you a fabulous week!

      Delete
  5. Hey Stacey.
    Yay. I'm able to leave you a message. Great that you fixed it so that now I can figure it out ~ maybe every one else could but I sure couldn't!!! I love this review and think this money management program looks like a fun way to teach children how to manage money. Awesome job. :) (P.S. can you turn off the captcha?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray!!!
      Sorry it's been such a difficult thing to try to post a comment...I'm so happy it is working for you now. ;)
      Thanks for your sweet support...next on my list -- figure out the captcha!

      Hoping to see you soon,
      Stacey

      Delete