Homeschool Conference!!!


Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Recipes...Part Uno

It took me a few days to think about food...
or anything that might have the slightest connection to food...
dishes
dishwashers
ovens
knives
wooden spoons
mixers
measuring cups/spoons
even my newest addition to my kitchen, my handy-dandy lemon zester, was banned from my thoughts!

BUT TODAY
I AM A
NEW 
WOMAN!!!
Refreshed and ready to go...bring on the lemon zester.  ;)

I was pampered
and cooked for
and cleaned up after
by my truly amazing and patient husband and kiddos.

Doesn't seem quite fair to this wonderful family of mine,
but I am so grateful they gave me my own little RE-TREAT time
after coming home from retreating and cooking in McCall.

I felt a tad bit of guilt,
okay a whole lot of guilt...

While I prepared yummy food for 18 special ladies for several days,
my hubby and kiddos dined on McDonald's, quesadillas, sandwiches and cold cereal.
I've taught them to cook, BUT???
I don't know, maybe they were too busy missing me to cook for themselves?

I am pleased to report that they are mighty happy I am back to me
and ready to tackle the kitchen and all that comes with it!
I'm even ready to start some new recipes...
can't wait to give them a shot!!!

BUT FOR NOW...
I promised to share the recipes that I prepared while at the retreat ~

I'll start with the Tortilla Soup ~ since I've received several requests for it since I've been home.

This is one of my favorite quick things to make,
I love that I can throw it all in the crock pot and walk away...
it can cook all day long or for just long enough to heat it through. 
(Note:  I do think it is much tastier the longer it cooks, the hominy softens and all the flavors blend so perfectly together)
So super easy and perfect for a cool day...
and the best part of all is that EVERY ONE of my kids LOVE IT!!! 
Hooray for me,
that is a rare occurrence with a bunch of finicky eaters!

I love to saute a small onion and a couple of garlic cloves and throw it in my crock pot...
if I am choosing to make it a Chicken Tortilla soup,
I saute the chicken with the onion and garlic to add some extra yummy flavor
(a couple chicken breasts chopped will do nicely)
Throw in a couple cans of Green (Verde) Enchilada Sauce
2 -3 cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 can corn (drained)
1 can hominy (drained)
2 cans MILD green chilies (chopped)
Add Cumin to taste...I would suggest at least 1 Tbsp, 2 would be better.  :0)
Finely chop a bundle of cilantro and toss it in.
(Optional:  Toss in a can of diced tomatoes...I wish I could, but those finicky eaters of mine would turn up their noses, so I go without!...Darn kids, anyway!)

Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream
along with a side of tortilla chips.
OR
if you are feeling extra fancy,
whip up some delicious cornbread with a little honey butter as a side!

I have a couple of super yummy cornbread recipes...if you'd like to give one a try, give me a hollar and I'll share with you.  :0)

Stay tuned for the next recipes ~ must run now...my kitchen and hungry children are calling!



4 comments:

  1. Thanks momma Lytle! If you need an extra kid, I will be yours. Can't wait to make this...been thinking and even dreaming of it since the retreat. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicol,
      You will love how easy it is...
      Watch out, I might take you up on being my kid if all of mine decide they must continue growing up...not sure what I'll do when they aren't little people anymore! I keep asking them to stop growing and stay little, but they just don't listen!!!
      Enjoy the yummy soup ~ Hope to see you soon! :0)

      Delete
  2. Awesome soup it was for sure. I REALLY look forward to your gluten free pancake mix! BEST ever!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get it to you very soon...
      I love them also and am so, so, so happy that gluten free can still be yummy. I'll keep sharing more gluten free ideas. :0)

      Delete