Homeschool Conference!!!


Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Christopher ???

The funniest thing happened the other day...
I was finishing up reading Morning Girl by Michael Dorris aloud to our three youngest kiddos and my biggest kid (aka Hubby). It was just a short, sweet, little story so when it was over so quickly, my kids were a little disappointed, but at the end of this wonderful little book is a journal entry by Christopher Columbus that relates to the people on this Bahamian Island that I also wanted to share with them. We'd already read what Morning Girl thought of the strange visitors that came to her island,
See full size image

so it should be interesting to see what these "visitors" thought of the life lived by these simple island people.  My goal was for our kids to see the differing perspectives of how each people saw the other. 


Since the kids were so disappointed when the story was over, it was easy to keep their attention while I read the epilogue to them...
I thought I'd "test" their knowledge a little...
note to self: 
Do not do this with your husband present ever again,
it will bite you everytime you try to "show off"

...moving on....

Sooooo I told these adorable little children, "There is a little bonus at the end of the book called an epilogue, which is like a journal entry written by someone you all know about, it was written in 1492 and it was written by someone named C h r i s t o p h eeeeerrrrrr" 

(pause)

waiting for them to finish up the name so that I could marvel that I had, in fact, taught them something of great value...

the response that came was most surprising...
and I might add I did not have that marveling moment I was so looking forward to!!!

 I was expecting to hear COLUMBUS come flying out of their little mouths,

Instead, I heard something quite different!
In the most perfect unison imaginable,
three little mouths enthusiastically blurt out --
             "ROBIN!!!" 

I laughed so hard I was crying ~ did not see that one coming!
My little hints did not give it away at all...unbelievable! 
They knew this one...hmmmm, where did I go wrong? 

My hubby was horrified in a funny kind of horrified way,
his response was just about as hilarious as theirs!!! 
While he is in complete laughter,  he says

"You have failed my children...
The Hundred Acre Wood, Winnie the Pooh??? 

No, we are talking about

(and he breaks out in song at this point...priceless!)

"In 1492, he sailed the Ocean Blue" 

and from the back seat we hear,

"Ohhhhh!!! Christopher COLUMBUS!"

I am convinced nothing could be more entertaining than my life!!!


Now the only thing to worry about is whether or not all the Winnie the Pooh movies disappear from my house!
  :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment