Homeschool Conference!!!


Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Little White Picket Fence Days...

This morning as I awoke to start a new day, I found myself happy, I can smile, I am finding Joy.
I do miss something, it may seem insignificant to others, and in all actuality it may be.  It is a material object that in and of itself is meaningless, but it is what it represents that is full of measure and worth. 

I left behind my little white picket fence.


Seems silly...who misses a fence?
I do...
I long for what it meant to me, I can not bring it along on our new adventure so I have instead placed this little fence in my heart and in my memories.
When you think of a fence, it may seem like little more than a sweet yard adornment...
but for me, that little fence, that little gate represented a safe life wherein I could protect my family,
I could be the gatekeeper
(that is after all what we are as mothers, the gatekeeper of our family) 
Within the parameters of that little white picket fence was a life that was simple, beautiful, pure and without the world...I had to allow the world to enter in...I had to invite it in.  As I have driven away from that little white treasure I have felt sorrow, I wanted to pick it up out of the ground and drag it with me anywhere, everywhere...

There has always been, and I'm sure will always be something alluring about that little white picket fence...women love them...they bring a smile across our face.  Again, I think they represent that little safe haven where we as Mommas can huddle our little clan together and watch over them.

With or without the actual fence surrounding my home, I am now standing by as the Momma, watching my children growing and going beyond that "fence"; my heart skips a beat...I find myself longing to drag them back in, keep them within those gates, protect them from all that lies "out there".  We all know that is not a possibility...and that is why Mothers who know do what they feel is best to remain close to their families, to keep out some of the yucky part of the world, to keep in as much of the beauty and wonder that comes of being a child.
 
This morning as I was doing a little quiet time for myself, I came upon this quote (again):


"Mothers who know do less.
They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally.
They allow less media in their homes,
less distraction,
less activity that draws their children away from their home.
Mothers who know
are willing to live on less and consume less of the world’s goods
in order to spend more time with their children—
more time eating together,
more time working together,
more time reading together,
more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying.
These mothers choose carefully
and do not try to choose it all.
Their goal is to prepare a rising generation of children who will take the gospel of Jesus Christ into the entire world"   ~Sister Julie B. Beck~

As I continue to try to understand the reasons we have just gone through a life-altering change in our family;
I find myself looking for the good reasons...
what reasons are we supposed to be in this new home?
What reasons are my children supposed to be taking the classes they are taking?
What do I need to be focusing on to make sure that I am a Mother who knows???
What have I to learn from these changes?
Quite possibly, I am to learn to slow down a little,
to not try to choose it all,
to wrap myself around the thought of doing less.

I am certain of just a couple things:
I can continue to be the gatekeeper of my home,
with or without that wonderful little white picket fence. 
And I can find Joy in being me and being the Mom of all these wonderful kiddos.
And I also know that time does heal, it does wonders for us...
with just the little bit of time we've been here I can say this is starting to feel like home
(and maybe in a short while, I'll find a perfect spot to have a little white picket fence again)
 
Have a Terrific Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment