Homeschool Conference!!!


Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Monday, April 9, 2012

A little spark...

I've been contemplating lately just how very hard it can be to raise a family...
how difficult it is to keep all the bad, yucky stuff away...
I know I cannot REALLY keep it all away, but how I wish I could!!!

When I read the following quote by Harold B. Lee, I was very moved...
I hope I can do justice in words what I feel in my heart at this time...


"You cannot lift another soul until you are standing on higher ground than he is. You must be sure, if you would rescue the man, that you yourself are setting the example of what you would have him be. You cannot light a fire in another soul unless it is burning in your own soul.
You teachers, the testimony that you bear, the spirit with which you teach and with which you lead, is one of the most important assets that you can have as you help to strengthen those who need so much, wherein you have so much to give. Who of us, in whatever station we may have been in, have not needed strengthening?" 
Harold B. Lee - April 1973

I find myself wishing to lift some very special people in my world, it is hard when those that you love are suffering or struggling...If only I could give them what I have...I'll start over ~ I know I can find what I need again, BUT it is so scary when you are the Momma or the Wife or the Friend wishing for that special person to "get it"... 

After reading these words, I've gained a little strength...

I must make sure that I am standing on high ground,
to me that means that I must be living my life in a way that would exemplify goodness and charity, a life that I could say I had spent my days standing in Holy Places...
in my opinion, a Holy Place can be anything I make Holy...
my home, my life, my surroundings,
even my testimony ~
I must stand on it, for it, behind it...
I must be willing to share it with whomever, whenever...
it may be that very thing that will truly Lift another when they are at their lowest point. 

President Lee says that if we wish to "rescue the man" that we must be living the example we'd like for them to be.
Powerful words, yet calming...all that I must do is set the example for those that I love ~ that is the very best I can do. 

The next line that I loved so much is
"you cannot light a fire in another soul unless it is burning in your own soul."
Wow...how's that for a little personal reflection???

...he then moves on to share a statement that hits me with a great force...
"You teachers,
(Just insert your name here...
I go with Mom, Momma, Stacey, Wife, Sister, Friend...
because we are all teachers...
think of all the lives that you touch...
YOU are teaching those people by the examples you set,
by the person you are,
by the testimony you possess,
by the love and the charity that you share) 

"You teachers, the testimony that you bear, the spirit with which you teach and with which you lead, is one of the most important assets that you can have as you help to strengthen those who need so much, wherein you have so much to give."


So as I go off to bed this evening, I will lay my head down knowing that I really am doing all that I can to lift those special souls in my life...
I will forever strive to set the example they may need...
I will continue earnestly to strengthen and build my own testimony...
and I will pray fervently for the Spirit to accompany me as I teach and lead those in my care...
And I will also remember a few special words spoken by Joseph Smith when asked,
“How do you govern your people?”
His answer was,
“I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves.”  

I feel I have done this with our children...now I must sit back and watch as they use their free agency and make choices in this life for themselves. 

"You cannot light a fire in another soul unless it is burning in your own soul." 
As I watch these kiddos of ours, I know they are also "watching" me...
I wish with all of my heart and soul
that they will see
a fire burning bright and strong within my soul
and that, if needed,
it may serve as a little spark
to ignite their magical flames!

No comments:

Post a Comment