Homeschool Conference!!!


Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Friday, April 13, 2012

Passover Feast and a Little Grass...

For our Passover Feast...we tried it all!
Thanks to some amazing friends who are in our co-op, we pulled off one fine Passover Experience for our kiddos!

The menu included:  lamb, maztah ball soup, herbed passover rolls and white grape juice. 
Prior to our sit down meal, we listened to the story of the Passover and tried a variety of things on our Seder Plate... matzah, celery and parsley dipped in salt water, haroset and horseradish.

It was all followed up with a piece of uunleavened chocolate cake and another cup of white grape juice.
 
We were all dressed in our Sunday best...I have to say the kids were wonderful...they listened, most of them tried everything (doesn't mean they all loved it, but they were at least willing to give it a shot).
 
It was a special treat for our family to prepare some of the dishes for the day...these are items that we do not eat at the Lytle home, so it was a bit of an adventure and the kids were totally into it!
 
The Haroset was a yummy treat!  Here is the recipe ~ It's one worth trying!
(I doubled this recipe, but for just a family, I'd stick with the quantities below)
 
**4 medium apples, 2 tart and 2 sweet

**1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
(I actually substituted the almonds for sprouted sunflower seeds...so yummy!)
**1/4 cup sweet wine
**1/4 cup dry wine
(Okay, another substitution...I used white grape juice)
**1 Tbs. cinnamon

Shred the apples. Add all other ingredients. Allow to sit for 3-6 hours, until the wine (or grape juice) is absorbed by the other ingredients. Serve on matzah. Goes very well with horseradish.

So Matzah is very similar to a saltine cracker, without the salt, and just a smidge flatter. 
And believe it or not...The Haroset was scrumptious on the Matzah with a little horseradish!

The kids didn't think it was all that fabulous with horseradish, but oh it was...try it, you'll like it!  :)

The Passover Rolls were also a very big hit here! 
Imagine eating stuffing in a ball, nice and crispy on the outside and a little moist on the inside...
yeah, it was yummy!

If you want to give it a shot, here's the recipe...
PASSOVER ROLLS
Herbed Passover Rolls
A light unleavened dinner roll for Passover, with the fragrant aromas of thyme, rosemary, parsley, and chives!  This will make about 12 rolls, so you may want to double or triple it if you are feeding a crowd like mine.  :0)

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup oil (I used Olive Oil)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt (didn't have any kosher salt, so I just used my Sea Salt)
2 cups matzo meal (alrighty, this one is a bit tricky to find, so if you have no success locating it, just go pick up a canister of the unseasoned bread crumbs over by the stuffing mixes)
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary*
(I was a little extra generous with the fresh herbs...so yummy and it smelled just divine!)

Instructions:

1. Combine first four ingredients in a medium-size saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and stir in matzo meal, stirring well until mixture pulls away from sides of the pan (about 30 seconds).
2. Remove from heat and place dough in a large mixing bowl (use a stand mixer if available). Cool slightly and then add eggs and herbs, beating on LOW until well-combined.
3. With moistened fingers, shape about 1/4 cup of dough into balls and place on a greased 11x15-inch baking sheet.  (These are super sticky, I found it easiest to use two spoons to get it onto the baking sheet...otherwise it just wanted to stay stuck on my fingers)
4. Bake rolls in preheated 375-degree oven for 55 minutes or until done. Be sure to fully cook the rolls, as the outside will be crunchy before the middle is completely done.

Cool on wire rack....if you can, as soon as they come out of the oven, everyone is going to want to sample them...they smell so yummy cooking!





The other super fun thing we did was to plant a little EASTER GRASS...
This is one weeks growth!
This is some amazing stuff...I swear we could walk by it, come back in an hour or so and it would be visibly taller than before! 

WAY FUN!

I teased my boys that I was going to go out and plant this grass all over our yard...they freaked..."NO, I don't want to have to mow every other day!"  hahahaha  I didn't really do it, but it was tempting!  :0)

1 comment:

  1. I just found my way to your blog - I asked your husband about it when he was here Sunday. I hope you don't mind that I stopped by. I am looking forward to reading and learning more about you and your thoughts. From the little bit I know about you, I know that you are a dedicated mother and a righteous woman. I use to blog more often (before we moved out here a year ago) - I need to get back on a regular schedule! later, Tiffani

    ReplyDelete