Homeschool Conference!!!


Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Can School Go On???

One of my biggest worries with being sick is how to do all the schoolwork.
How do you teach when speaking just a few meager words takes your breath completely away? How do you read all those great stories? How do you answer questions? How do you explain that new math concept? How do you praise when one of them "gets it"?

Well, it has been a little bit of a challenge this past few days. I still cannot read aloud to my kids, but I have been able to talk a little here and there. And wow, can I be a great listener... Maybe that's a lesson all in itself...hmmmm

I have seen great things happen this week. My little Cassie keeps asking if we can do history ever again. It's only been a week and a half since I could actually read aloud to them, but they miss it. This is such a good thing! It's the little things in life that we cherish the most, especially when we can no longer do them. Hopefully just another week or so and I'll have that treasure back...keepin' my fingers crossed :)

But here is what is taking place instead of our normal routine, with me "being in charge". My little 9 year old has decided to pick up reading an assortment of books. I just have to laugh, he is picking up my bad habits, can't just read one book at a time, he has started three ~ all in the same morning. Now he reads a page or two from one and moves on to the other. I just have to smile...
Check out his choices:
Hardy Boys,
Cars,
and Uncle Tom's Cabin.
All I can say is he is ambitious --
may take him until he reaches 12 to finish Uncle Tom's Cabin, or he may read it for a bit and put it away...whatever he chooses, I am okay with, I am just so thrilled to see his interest and desire!

The little girls have been researching everything there is to know about ocean life, birds that fly south for the winter, among so many other topics. The creativity and puppet shows have been outstanding! They have come up with some fantastic recipes...can't wait till I have the strength to actually stand and prepare a meal again. Watching their little minds go to town is so sweet and inspiring.
Natalie is really missing baking. She came up with her own little rendition of banana bread last night. She went into the kitchen, cut up a bunch of bananas, got out the sliced bread and cinnamon and thought she'd just mash it in. Sounded great to me. Then she wrote her own recipe for cherry pie, it was adorable. In fact, it was so adorable and hysterical, that I just need to share it...

Pies
take 2 cups powterd soogar (powdered sugar) and 1 cup woter (water) and 1 cup flowr (flour). Mix it up bake 5 mints (minutes) then take owt (out) and dump 1 can cherre sos (cherry sauce) on top. Its dun! (It's done!)

(We'll be attempting her recipe very soon...sure glad it doesn't have anything disgusting in it, cause I will undoubtedly be the guinea pig!)

My big boys have been doing great taking care of what they know they need to stay on top of. Luckily, I can work with them just answering a few things here and there and they are able to keep on. We did a huge lesson on Latitude and Longitude this week...hooray, after balloons and globes and oranges they've got it!!! Danielle is so good at just handling herself that I just review her work and smile with approval. Don't know what I'd do without my older kids...they are just priceless to me...so willing to help pick up the pieces when I cannot. To me there is just nothing greater than to see that teenagers can have compassion and caring and put others ahead of themselves. Their willingness and love is inspiring and rewarding to me, I am one lucky Momma!

I've had a lot of time to reflect and to sit back and watch. It's hard to not be right in the mix full time, but it has been a blessing to see what they will do with themselves and truly to see that they miss their routine.

Just today, Bryce took over the girls and helped them to create the greatest Thanksgiving Crafts. They were busy for hours and so very happy! And they are so ecstatic to go and share the place cards and napkin holders that they made today to decorate the Thanksgiving table.

And there's another biggie!!!
I always host Thanksgiving Dinner and I LOVE doing this. But not this year...I guess I will just have to sit back and let others "serve and take care of me". Sure hope this passes soon! It is so much easier and happier for me to be giving to others, but I am so very grateful for the love and support of such a wonderful family and outstanding friends! I am so blessed!

So to answer my original question that I've been dealing with for the past few days, can school really go on when the mom/teacher is not up to par?
A resounding YES is the answer!!!
It's different, but not in a negative way, rather in a positive enriching way.

Maybe this is just what some of us need -- to let things go a little and let them explore who they are and what they love and to help them realize how much they do really enjoy learning. Because, after all,
it really is all about
Learning to
LOVE LEARNING...

No comments:

Post a Comment