Homeschool Conference!!!


Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Can Soda REALLY do that to you???

During a Science class in our co-op this past week where we were discussing Chemical Reactions, a comment regarding the way our bodies react to certain foods and beverages was discussed.

Our science teacher, the wonderful Jerusha Smith, told a story of her grandmother who had "lived" on drinking coke for the better part of 40 years.













This poor grandma did not fair well with a copious amounts of soda raging through her body.  She refused to drink water...blah, blah, blah...

The point of the story, or of my sharing it with you, is that during her story of her grandmother, she told the kids that this poor woman ended up with a hole in her heart due to drinking too much coke.

I'm guessing this must have made quite the impression on my kids,
just this morning, one of my little girls asked me if her story was true?
Could drinking a lot of soda really do that to your heart?
I was just about to reply,
when my other little one chimed in with this,
"Well, no it cannot be true BECAUSE I have drank lots and lots of soda one day and I never got a hole in my heart!"

I'm glad to hear that they were listening (well, semi-listening)...had they heard (or listened to) the entire story they would have understood that the point being made was that the long duration of time and excess amount of soda was what contributed to this sad condition.

I couldn't help but snicker just a little -- my kids rarely drink soda and to them lots and lots of soda would mean they might have had 2 cups in one day!  ;)
I might think of this little conversation each and every time I enjoy one of those tasty bottles...
NO, I don't have one every day,
but every now and then I simply must partake!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment