Homeschool Conference!!!


Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Look at all those beautiful little feet two people can create!

Friday, April 12, 2013

Apologia Review Addendum...

Sadly, I must share an addendum to my previous post,
The Ultimate Homeschool Planner.

It has come to my attention that
APOLOGIA has made a statement regarding the LDS Faith,
if you wish to read it in its entirety, please click below:
http://blog.apologia.com/blog/2013/04/12/is-the-church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints-lds-mormons-a-christian-religion/#comment-10775

I am saddened by the misconceptions that are made by some.
As I read through the statement, the one thought that stood out to me above all was this:  How would Jesus Christ feel about this?  Would He approve of a group of people looking down on and judging another?  Would He wish to see this happening?  Would He feel this was Christ like?

Making FALSE statements about another group of people (for any reason whatsoever) is wrong; it is sad.
I know with all of my heart, that Christ would be wishing for us to all LOVE ONE ANOTHER, look for the good in one another and quit all the stinkin' nit-picking!!!

As I know many of my readers are LDS, I felt it only appropriate to share this information.
This is NOT in an attempt to convince you that APOLOGIA is BAD...
I just feel we all need to be informed and know exactly where they stand.
While I very much enjoyed the Planner, I cannot endorse a product from a company that so openly opposes the faith of another people.
I do not believe this is what Jesus Christ would want to see from us, and I cannot be associated with a company that is not open and welcoming and accepting of ALL people!

So...I will be spending a little time on my own putting together a planner that fits all aspects of what I wish to use for my family.  So sad, because it really had some good qualities.  (sad face!)

Happy Planning to each and every one of you.  :)

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I am impressed. I was very sad to have to stop endorsing Apologia as well. I kind of stirred up this hornet's nest, actually with my blog post and posts on FB. I don't necessarily want to hurt the Apologia company, I just wanted to make the information public and hopefully change their mind about offering courses that are meant to attack and tear down. I'm very sad about their response.

    As you're looking for a new planner, have you considered the Homeschool Chic Planner? I saw them at a curriculum fair last year in Provo, UT and really liked it. http://www.homeschoolchic.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to check out the Homeschool Chic Planner...
      I agree, so sad!

      My prayers go out to them...not a good choice on their part. I just wish they were CORRECTLY informed; so sad to pass false information around about good people. Dang!

      Happy day to you! :) I will have to stop by and check out your post, I haven't seen it.

      Delete
  2. I had seen a few comments on facebook about this, but this was the first time I saw a link to Apologia's actual website. What I found so incredibly telling was in the first few paragraphs of the post. This statement in particular: "In an actual phone call with one of the Mormons, who is a homeschooling mom, it was essentially concluded that a Mormon can continue to patronize Apologia in good conscience." He says "one of the Mormons" and then qualifies his statement by saying she is a homeschooling mom. He essentially dehumanizes the person on the other end of the phone call. Then he says something very interesting "it was concluded." He never says who concluded this, whether it was an agreement by the homeschooling mom and the Apologia representative or just a conclusion that the Apologia representative offered. Its a very tricky turn of phrase, offering a strange compromise. Essentially Apologia is saying throughout this blog post "Mormons, we don't agree that you are Christian. We will tell you what you believe and then use it to prove that you cannot be Christians. However, we will be glad take your money. We will offer you insults with one hand, but expect your loyalty." I found the assertion of what our beliefs are to be enlightening, and came away with a determination not to patronize this company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite unbelievable :(

      Really just makes me sad.

      Delete
  3. That's for the same reason I quit using bob jones a long time ago. I do have an issue with it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post. It has really given me something to think about. I loved the planner and some of their books. I am not a religious person, but with the amount of hate that was in that post..I might not use them in the fall like I had planned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Stacey, for letting us all know about this. I, too, have loved some of the Apologia books and we used them for some of our studies way back when... I'm disappointed, but not surprised to know that they have publicly posted this. We encountered it before and probably always will. Like a few others, I left a comment and hopefully they will make a difference. I doubt it though. Oh well. LDS Family Resources is there for us! Let's support them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing the link! I'm a little ill at the tone they wrote that in and I will not be purchasing their material.

    ReplyDelete